ParalegalApply Now Job ID 1609167BR Date posted 06/26/2019 Location Mooresville, North Carolina Location Name Mooresville, NC (SSC) Address 1000 Lowes Boulevard Employment Type I Full time Employment Type II Regular Line of Business Corporate Department LWS_USA_Legal
The primary purpose of this role is to provide support for Lowe’s in-house counsel on a variety of pre-litigation and litigation matters related to commercial, consumer law, or regulatory disputes that directly affect Lowe's various business units, by conducting fact-finding and other early case assessment, applying expertise in review and analysis of complex data sets, substantive handling of appropriate matters with appropriate oversight, determining and implementing best practices for litigation cost and outside counsel management, coordinating the compilation and analysis of data related to Department spend, and conducting legal research in support of the Lowe's Legal Department. This includes responsibility for overseeing discovery, responding to client inquiries, communicating and coordinating with outside counsel, making thorough and efficient use of matter management databases and other specialized tools, and completing specialized paralegal projects based on assigned practice group. This role is also responsible for drafting, reviewing, and editing legal documents.
• Performs specialized paralegal tasks based on assigned practice area including claim review and issue recognition, investigating and responding to Notices of Violation, Class Action review and docket management, commercial litigation docket management, review and pursuit of recoveries on behalf of the Company, etc.
• Interacts with representatives of regulatory agencies and opposing counsel in appropriate matters, prepares reports and other documents summarizing or synthesizing factual information, communicates with federal, state, and local officials regarding matters, and researches relevant regulations, codes, case law as necessary to evaluate claims.
• Manages and coordinates early case assessment and subsequent discovery by conducting legal research (e.g., prepares and submits legal hold requests, conducts custodian interviews with minimal supervision, supervises collection of responsive documents, coordinates review of collected information with outside counsel).
• Drafts legal correspondence and documents related to specific litigation or pre-litigation matters, tailors them based on specific matter details and utilizes the matter management system to memorialize finalized documents and correspondence.
• Performs legal research as it relates to assigned matters utilizing legal training and experience to determine applicability of research to assigned issue and prepare research memoranda analyzing legal issues for attorney review.
• Maintains a high level of familiarity with business practices and initiatives, particularly those relevant to ongoing litigation or pre-litigation matters.
• Collaborates efficiently with client stakeholders by maintaining professional relationships that enable quick and thorough gathering of relevant facts, data, and documentation. Intakes and triages requests from business clients and outside counsel and responds to client requests for information in a timely and efficient manner.
• Completes filings and compliance actions by managing documents and deadlines and collaborating with peers across the company as well as outside counsel.
• Creates exhibits, charts, and diagrams representing factual information.
• Utilizes knowledge of business process and applies legal analytical skills to determine needed changes to company protocols to avoid repeat litigation or mitigate risk in assigned areas.
• Maintains a high level of proficiency in the use of matter management and invoicing systems, including the ability to efficiently conduct reporting and analysis.
• Manages assigned project initiation, including initial analysis and assessment, and preparation of initial drafts of relevant documents as needed
• Performs legal and factual research to resolve various complaints, issues or problems, including issues related to land use (e.g. encroachments, environmental regulations, easements, land use restrictions, etc.), Customer and employee accessibility, employee and customer claims, etc.Investigates and prepares responses to due-diligence inquiries from third parties regarding landlord/tenant questions, regulatory compliance inquiries, and contract compliance reviews.
• H.S. Diploma; 8 years of experience working in a corporate legal department or law firm OR
• Associate's Degree; 4 years of experience working in a corporate legal department or law firm OR
• Bachelor's Degree; No experience working in a corporate legal department or law firm
• Additional work experience may be substituted for the degree requirement
• 2 years of experience managing large volumes of work
• 3 years of experience in broad research projects
• Proficiency in MS Suite
• 3 years of experience drafting legal documents
• Paralegal certificate OR
• State-designated paralegal certification
• Experience working in a corporate law department
• Retail ExperienceExperience with matter management systems
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving more than 18 million customers a week in the United States, Canada and Mexico. With fiscal year 2018 sales of $71.3 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,200 home improvement and hardware stores and employ approximately 300,000 associates. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports its hometown Charlotte region and all communities it serves through programs focused on safe, affordable housing and careers in the skilled trades. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.Apply Now Email Job
We're proud of every #LowesIntern19 who made the most of their summer and took a step ahead in their careers. Three cheers for our future leaders for living out #LowesLife to the fullest. pic.twitter.com/ohUEFGA0ah
"I am excited to apply my knowledge to the unique field of Employment Branding and learn about how Lowe’s finds the right people to fuel their business." - Katelyn, #TalentAcquisition Intern and @UofSC student. #Gamecocks #LowesIntern19 low.es/2RRP9bX pic.twitter.com/4KNVUbmbCp
When our employees fall on hard times, we've got their backs. The Lowe’s Employee Relief Fund (#LERF) has helped more than 33,000 associates, by giving more than $39 million in assistance over the last 20 years. Learn more: bit.ly/30wAJkM #LowesLife pic.twitter.com/tSUq5nwu5w
Lowe's #EmergencyCommandCenter is keeping a close eye on the needs of communities affected by #TropicalStrormBarry and sending disaster relief kits to help begin the recovery process. Learn more: low.es/2YTlwdc pic.twitter.com/Mj4rXYLmAo
Our #TechnologyTeam is growing fast! Apply now to join our team and work at our #TechHub in Charlotte, NC. Learn how you can be a part of our technology transformation: low.es/2GbgdON #GoodToGreat pic.twitter.com/bod64iPHPy
"I am interested in learning more about the sustainable practices that the company values so much! Protecting the Earth and keeping it beautiful is very important to me." Welcome to our #ecofriendly team, Megan! @AppState #AppState low.es/2RRP9bX pic.twitter.com/hFOt6DODC6
What you think you know about the #SkilledTrades may not be true. Here are five myths about the industry that have been busted. #GenT @IamGenerationT bit.ly/2FPCbGZ pic.twitter.com/NqR7ZYFPrf
The Lowe’s technology team is on a mission to be the leader in home improvement and retail technology. Connect with us and join our tech team in the heart of Charlotte, NC. Learn more: bit.ly/3079e0P #TechnologyJobs pic.twitter.com/nObQ8zkcav