Corporate Counsel – Pro, Sales & Services
PURPOSE OF ROLE:
Lowe’s seeks an experienced, practical, solutions-minded attorney to join its Legal Department as Corporate Counsel - Pro, Sales, & Services. The position reports to a Senior Counsel in the Lowe’s Legal Department and will handle a variety of matters across a general practice supporting the company’s Services’ and Pro-customer businesses. The position is responsible for managing matters and providing appropriate legal support through all phases of their life-cycles, ranging from ideation through implementation and maintenance, including counseling various business clients on risk mitigation strategies while balancing the company’s practical business needs, capabilities, and objectives.
The position will require managing outside counsel in an efficient and cost-effective manner while producing quality results, handling various matters without outside counsel, working with business members at different levels within the company, and working with or overseeing paraprofessionals and legal staff. Specific matters may include negotiating and drafting various types of commercial contracts, sales contracts, cooperative contracts (state, local, and educational), bids, and consumer-facing legal terms; creating contract and consumer term templates; advising on consumer, construction, and related regulatory laws and programs; enhancing regulatory compliance; supporting the development of new lines of business and expansion of existing lines of these businesses; managing or assisting with the management of claims and litigation; and providing proactive legal advice and legal trend monitoring and reporting, all as they relate to the company’s Services’ and Pro-customer businesses. The successful candidate will also be called upon to manage large projects relating to these and other areas, which will include working with stakeholders outside of Lowe’s Legal Department.
- Ability to manage legal matters in a way that meets company strategies, within applicable budgets and authority, at times using internal resources only and at other times using outside counsel.
- Ability to deliver work product within business constraints in a high-volume, fast-paced and demanding environment while balancing competing client requests.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of laws applicable to one or more of the following so as to be able to evaluate situations and act decisively by understanding the short-term, intermediate, and long term business and legal implications of decisions being made or under consideration: Pro/commercial customers of home improvement and construction products, services and service programs relating to these customers or consumer customers in the home improvement industry, or the construction industry.
- Experience leading or ability to lead large scale, complex legal projects and to propose practical options for meeting client business goals within applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Experience providing legal transactional and regulatory support to a business that provides services or programs in the construction, home improvement, or related sectors.
- Ability to travel, including air travel, domestically and internationally on occasion (approximately 1-2 times per year).
- Bachelor’s Degree
- J.D. from an ABA accredited institution
- Minimum of 6 years relevant experience in law firm, in-house corporate legal department, or legal field
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing in at least one state
- Strong academic credentials from the respective ABA accredited institution
- High energy and a dedication to client service
- Uncompromising honesty and integrity; Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Exceptional oral and written communication, presentation, interpersonal, and facilitation skills
- Must interact confidently, persuasively, and diplomatically with all levels of the organization
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks and projects, and meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment
- Skill and ability to collaborate within a team as well as operate independently
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-paced environment
- Strong negotiation, drafting, and analytical skills for various types of matters
- Ability to quickly acquire competency in new areas of the law and manage legal matters across a variety of areas simultaneously
- In-house legal experience or large firm litigation experience
- Retail, Home Improvement, Construction, Pro Customer, or Services’ experience
- Strong interest in practical solutions and experience in managing or implement service programs to commercial or consumer customers
- Familiarity with one of the following: Legal matters involving residential or commercial construction, skilled trades, or consumer and commercial service offerings in retail or construction-related industries
- Experience with and understanding of the legal issues related to one or more of the following areas: residential or commercial construction, skilled trades, or consumer and commercial customer service offerings in retail or construction-related industries
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving approximately 18 million customers a week in the United States and Canada. With fiscal year 2019 sales of $72.1 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,200 home improvement and hardware stores and employ approximately 300,000 associates. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports its hometown Charlotte region and all communities it serves through programs focused on creating safe, affordable housing and helping to develop the next generation of skilled trade experts. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.